Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Homework vs. No Homework. No Brainer?

My psychology class is awesome. The teacher is 80+ years old & near deaf. He can't tell if a student is reading from the textbook or Cosmopolitan magazine as far as hearing goes. But hes genius. Or maybe just experienced. And his teaching style, as dull as some may find it, is truly the most effective style I've ever learned from. I can say I am truly LEARNING in his class, not just memorizing for the purpose of later tests or quizzes. His teaching theory: Read, write, discuss, test. I'll explain...
He passes out our weekly assignment: a paper with 15-20 terms or ideas from the text we need to define or discuss. We do it as homework. The next class we discuss the homework line by line (slow enough to do the assignment in class if needed). We then take an open book & note "Test", turn in the assignment and test & call it a day. These "tests" are multiple choice, with the page number you can find on the answer noted at the end of the question. Tough, huh?
His class may seem boring to some. Its not full of projects, papers, group assignments, and due dates you can never keep up with. No word limits, reference pages or essays. I've never taken a class in such a format. With every answer given to you before you turn in every assignment. I can see how some student's may think they could take advantage of such a course, but even taught as it is, I am learning... really storing and applying the information given in this class.
Ok, I know I title of this post is about homework, so I'll get to that part, finally, after all my rambling. At the end of class the instructor will usually ask if we want to take the test in class, or for homework. WHY IN THE WORLD would you opt to take a TEN QUESTION, OPEN BOOK test as homework? It will take you 3-5 minutes to complete in class for an EASY A! Versus taking it home, procrastinating or forgetting about it, taking time out of your free time to do more homework, adding to the number of weekly homework assignments due (assuming we are all taking several classes)? Why?!? I'm all for getting out of class early, but the extra couple minutes is worth it to me to stay. Why am I the ONLY one that ever votes to take the test in class?!?
That's it. That's why I blogged today. Some people I do not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment